Stress can come from anywhere. Here are someways to keep it from getting the best of you.
- Treat yourself. It doesn’t have to be anything huge, or it can. If you’re due for a massage, go for it! Or just go for a nice walk, pet a puppy, buy yourself an ice cream cone. If you don’t take care of yourself, you won’t be any good to anyone else.
- Do something that makes you happy for 5 minutes. This could be a whole lot of things but it doesn’t have to be complicated. Look up pictures of baby animals (the fuzziness really makes life better) or blast your music on a song you really love. Go grab a crossword puzzle from the train station and challenge your brain for a couple minutes. The distraction will help make the stressful stuff feel a little less bad.
- Make a happy list. This one really may seem childish but I promise it helps. Make a list of every single thing that is good that day. If you woke up on time, write it down. Was the train on schedule? Definitely write that down. Maybe you’re having a really good hair day- that goes on the list too. By the time you’re halfway down the page, you’ll realize that the bad stuff is just extra and it doesn’t have to ruin your day.
- Talk to someone you love. Nothing makes a day better than getting words of affirmation from a loved one. Text your best friend that you need cheering up- I guarantee they will send you something that makes you happy. Give your grandma a call- she’ll be so happy to hear from you and that’s a surefire way to feel better (plus grandmas are really good at telling you why you’re special.)
- Do something nice for someone else. It’s been said that helping others helps our own self esteem. Buy a 99cent slice for a homeless guy or hold the door for someone as you leave your building. Just hearing someone be grateful for your actions is enough to brighten your day.
And if none of this works, just blast “Shake It Off” and dance around your room in your undies. You think I’m kidding…but you’re smiling just thinking about it.