American girls love Parisian style!. L-O-V-E. So here some tips on how to approach:
- More is NOT: Like meal portions, the outfits are amazingly well constructed, but with few pieces, mostly basics, and little hints of trends. As a “petite dejeuner”, dazzle with little but good stuff.
- Neutral Tones: Love your favorite black skinny jeans, stick to your favorite white blouse, don’t think about tossing your beige sweater, embrace among all those chocolate oxfords you were not so sure about, and go for that perfect blazer with perfect fit and ask mom to borrow her black turtle neck. Now relax and add some white and grey t-shirts, a tomboy black rounded neck kind of baggy top and your favorite rose-gold accessories. And “Voila”, Bonjour Mademoiselle.
- Au Naturel: Parisians seem to wear little make up (ok, yes, little everything, I know) and it seems to work. Focus on a good and light foundation, natural blush and eyelashes as well, and keep an eye on focusing in on your lips, because everything is about a glowing skin, generous eyebrows and full lips on red-fuchsia-burgundy tones with matte finish.
- La vie en Rose, not Vodka Soda: So. Walking in the romantic streets of Paris is always a nice frame that helps to pull up your look. And yes, the subway at 33rd Street might be not. Or the rats in every corner of Chinatown, or the naked/body painted go-go girls of Times Square. So, we have a battle here. But with little twists on your daily routine you’ll feel the difference. Choose black coffee, orange juice and plain croissant w/ marmalade for breakfast instead of Cream Cheese Bagel with pickles and a Venti Caramel Machiatto double whipped cream on top. Cut your lunch portion in Half, and choose Rosé and Cheese for a nice evening instead of Vodka Soda and Pepperoni Pizza. Or cook to your beloved with nice music and red wine for a home dinner.
- YOU, Your favorite Icon: Note to self: ” I am who I want to be”. Attitude and confidence is sexy, and that’s a fact. French girls will roll their eyes if you ask them who their favorite Hollywood actress or Icon is. Why?. Because they are proud of who they are. Of how they look and what they think. They feel as if they are on a runway because they know they are special, and that’s why they are chosen. They dominate the streets because they know they are unique and beautiful inside and outside. And so are you. So keep that in mind, love yourself and love your life.
The French icon and fashion designer Inés de la Fressange, says in her book “Parisian Chic” “Don´t follow the rules (not even your own), never look like you have been dressing up for 3 hours (even if it´s true), show and care about your smile and your teeth, don´t ever chase the new trends and be yourself”. Tres bien Inés.